- WHAT IS THE MEANING OF THE BAND NAME?
- WHAT IS LATVIAN PAGAN METAL?
- WHERE THE HELL IS LATVIA LOCATED?
- WHAT ARE THE BAND’S VIEWS ON POLITICAL AND RELIGIOUS SUBJECTS?
- I HEARD SOMEWHERE THAT SKYFORGER PLAYS NS BLACK METAL. IS THAT THE TRUTH?
- SO, WHY DID YOU USE A STYLIZED SWASTIKA IN YOUR LOGO?
- I AM FAN OF YOUR MUSIC AND WOULD LIKE TO SEE SKYFORGER LIVE IN CONCERT. WHY ARE YOU ALWAYS PLAYING SOMEWHERE ELSE BUT NOT MY TOWN?
- AND FINALLY QUESTION, WHICH IS ALWAYS ASKED BY THE GERMAN GUYS – WHY I CAN HEAR IN YOUR LYRICS THE WORD “SCHAISSE“?
FOR PROMOTERS / PRESS
- I WOULD LIKE TO BOOK SKYFORGER FOR A CONCERT / FESTIVAL; WHERE SHOULD I WRITE?
- CAN I GET FREE PROMO FOR MY MAGAZINE / RADIO? IS THAT POSSIBLE TO ARRANGE INTERVIEW?
1. WHAT IS THE MEANING OF THE BAND NAME?
The word “Skyforger” is a personification of the ancient Latvian pagan god of the Sky. His name in Latvian is Pērkons and ancient tribes believed that he was master of the whole universe; the one who makes thunder and sends down lightning to destroy evil doers.
2. WHAT IS LATVIAN PAGAN METAL?
The style of music Skyforger plays is often described as Pagan Metal, which, in the band’s opinion, describes what they do best. Skyforger takes its inspiration from Latvian history; digging up long forgotten stories of our old gods, brave battles, and glorifying the ancient chiefs and their deeds.
Pagan metal from Latvia is Latvian Pagan Metal!
3. WHERE THE HELL IS LATVIA LOCATED?
Latvia is a small country next to the Baltic Sea. Together with its neighbours Lithuania and Estonia they form the three Baltic countries. Other countries close by are Finland, Poland, Russia and Belarus. Latvia’s population is 2.3 million people; its capital is Riga. Country’s flag is red-white-red in 2-1-2 proportions. More specific details about Latvia can be found at this Latvian Institute page.
4. WHAT ARE THE BAND’S VIEWS ON POLITICAL AND RELIGIOUS SUBJECTS?
Skyforger is a completely non-political band, and none of the band members are interested in any of the world’s religions. They consider all of them equally false.
5. I HEARD SOMEWHERE THAT SKYFORGER PLAYS NS BLACK METAL. IS THAT THE TRUTH?
This is absolutely not the truth. Skyforger has never been interested in any kind of national-socialistic ideology. Also not in any other ideologies whatsoever. All album themes and lyrics simply display pure Latvian pagan art and symbols, which have been used for thousands of years.
6. SO, WHY DID YOU USE A STYLIZED SWASTIKA IN YOUR LOGO?
As Skyforger is a Pagan Metal band and every album is like a small story from the pages of our own country’s history, we also used our national pagan symbols. To our people, the swastika (or as called here – Thundercross) was a sign of the pagan god of Thunder, and it gives protection against evil things. On the first two album sleeves we even included labels which read “No Nazi stuff here” to avoid misunderstanding, and prevent false interpretation of the symbol. The Thundercross existed long before the NS regime of 1930s. Sadly, it seems that there is still prejudices against the symbol alive today; therefore Skyforger has removed the symbol from the logo permanently.
7. I AM FAN OF YOUR MUSIC AND WOULD LIKE TO SEE SKYFORGER LIVE IN CONCERT. WHY ARE YOU ALWAYS PLAYING SOMEWHERE ELSE BUT NOT MY TOWN?
Unfortunately, it is not possible to play in every city in the world as we have a limited time for touring. Tours are also sometimes made by booking agencies; also in cooperation between labels and local promoters and we have no control over their decisions about where the tour route goes. It is a matter of many details, distances between cities, travel costs etc. If you want to see Skyforger to perform in your city, contact your local metal promoter and advise him to book a show. However, do not forget that there must be enough fans to make it possible. If that fails to happen, it is better to check touring schedule and visit the closest gig.
8. AND FINALLY QUESTION, WHICH IS ALWAYS ASKED BY THE GERMAN GUYS – WHY I CAN HEAR IN YOUR LYRICS THE WORD “SCHAISSE“?
Explanation is really simple one and we can assure you – no swearing is intended at all. This is because of peculiarities of the Latvian language. Pretty often in Latvian folklore there is a combination of the two separate words “Šai zemē”, which in English would mean “Into this land”. When singing fast, both words seems like one and untrained ear just catch the similar sounds of the German slang, but in fact, this phrase does not carry anything rude 🙂
FOR PROMOTERS / PRESS
9. I WOULD LIKE TO BOOK SKYFORGER FOR A CONCERT / FESTIVAL; WHERE SHOULD I WRITE?
You should send an email to: hopkins[et]skyforger.lv
10. CAN I GET FREE PROMO FOR MY MAGAZINE / RADIO? IS THAT POSSIBLE TO ARRANGE INTERVIEW?
For promo things, see label’s contact details. For interviews use the same e-mail hopkins[et]skyforger.lv and band will see what can be done.